Timo Werner is set to leave RB Leipzig for Chelsea when the transfer window reopens at the end of the campaign.
Timo Werner feels he can ‘grow’ alongside Chelsea boss Frank Lampard’s currency set of players, reports say. The RB Leipzig star is poised to move to Stamford Bridge when the transfer window reopens at the end of the campaign. Chelsea have become frontrunners in the race to sign the Germany international, leapfrogging Premier League rivals Manchester United and Liverpool.
Werner had been looking likely to join Liverpool when the transfer window reopens, with Jurgen Klopp’s side initially favourites to sign him.
However, Chelsea have surged into pole position to sign the striker from RB Leipzig at the end of the campaign.
The Blues are poised to activate the player’s release clause and he’s already agreed personal terms ahead of a move to West London.
And The Times say the 23-year-old is enthused by the prospect of playing under Lampard and alongside Chelsea’s current crop of players.
It’s said he feels he can ‘grow’ alongside the Blues squad.
And that will no doubt delight Chelsea fans, many of whom can’t wait to see the Leipzig star donning their blue shirt next season.
Werner has been in ruthless form for RB Leipzig this season, finding the net 31 times from 41 matches.
He couldn’t score on Saturday, though, as Leipzig saw their hopes of Bundesliga glory dashed following a 1-1 draw with Paderborn.
Speaking after that game, manager Julian Nagelsmann insisted his star striker wasn’t bothered by talk of a move away from the Red Bull Arena.
“No, it didn’t bother him,” he said.
“He was very committed. He was always working out front, like [Paderborn coach] Steffen [Baumgart] said. He was on the run a lot.
“He has a total of 32 or 33 goals this season. Today he missed a few chances, but still set up Patrik [Schick]’s goal.
“I think he would have liked to score with one of his two big chances, but that has nothing to do with the hype about his person. He has known that since he was 14.”
Meanwhile, Liverpool legend Robbie Fowler has insisted he can’t understand the ‘meltdown’ from some Reds fans after missing out on Werner.
“There has been so much rumour around his intended destination for months now, with my former club at the heart of that, but most of the other big names in European football have been linked to him,” he told the Mirror.
“I’ve also seen the meltdown from some Liverpool fans when they realised he’s probably not leaving RB Leipzig for Anfield after all.
“It makes it seem as though he’s a Marco van Basten, a world-class player who would walk into any side.
“For the life of me, I don’t know why. I’ve watched him a fair few times and there are things about his game I like and admire.
“But does he influence games consistently enough? Not for me. Does he match up to the players you are signing him to challenge and replace? Not at Liverpool. Maybe at Chelsea.
“And that’s the important point I think supporters forget. I’ve heard so many people complaining about Liverpool owners not splashing the cash, not diving in on Werner when he’s a ‘steal’ at £52million. Is he really, though?
“By the standards of the last couple of years, maybe. Maybe not. It’s still a fairly hefty price, when you compare him to the fees Liverpool paid for Mo Salah, Sadio Mane and Bobby Firmino, who all cost £10m-£20m less.
“Yet now, with the football world in financial meltdown because of a global pandemic, every single person connected with the game knows there is an absolute certainty of a massive re-calibration of the transfer market.”
Be the first to comment