Premier League confirm four more positive COVID-19 tests ahead of football return

The Premier League have confirmed that four more players or staff members, from three different clubs, have tested positive for coronavirus in the latest round of testing.

Four more players or staff members from three different Premier League clubs have tested positive for coronavirus. The total number of positive tests has now risen to 12 following the third round of samples.

A total of 1,008 tests were taken in the latest round as players begin to resume full-contact training.

The first round of testing saw six positives results from 748 samples and the second was two confirmed COVID-19 cases from 996 samples.

The latest tests, conducted on Monday and Tuesday, has seen the total arrive at 12 positives from more than 2,744 tests.

A Premier League statement read: “The Premier League can today confirm that on Monday 25 May and Tuesday 26 May, 1008 players and club staff were tested for COVID-19. Of these, four have tested positive from three clubs.

“Players or club staff who have tested positive will now self-isolate for a period of seven days.

Premier League confirm four more positive coronavirus tests ahead of football return

“Previously, between 19-22 May, 996 players and club staff were tested for COVID-19, of which two tested positive from two clubs. Some 748 players and club staff were tested for COVID-19 on 17-18 May, with six testing positive from three clubs.

“For the fourth round of testing, the number of tests available to each club will be increased from 50 to 60.

“The Premier League is providing this aggregated information for the purposes of competition integrity and transparency.

“No specific details as to clubs or individuals will be provided by the League and results will be made public after each round of testing.”

During the second round of testing Bournemouth goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale gave up his anonymity to explain the shock of finding out he had the killer virus.

“I’ve been trying to figure it out for the past two days,” he told The Sun. “My test last Monday before we started training was negative.

“So this last week, I’ve done the usual things like going to the supermarket and going to the petrol station to fill my car.

“Once you’ve contracted the virus, it shows in your blood.

“That was obviously not the case [after the first test] and it’s been the three days between the two tests when I’ve contracted the virus.

“I’ve been just as careful as before on lockdown and it seems to be a shopping trip where I’ve caught it.”

Be the first to comment

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.